Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ruminating on the Learning Experience


School buildings are almost built like prisons and are not always conducive to a learning environment. Certainly a building is practical, but it makes the experience of learning one that would never want to be repeated in most instances. Most of our learning and education comes from our experiences. Students should see that learning is something that takes place all the time, not just within the four walls of a school. Learning happens mostly through experiences, not through rote memorization, or someone lecturing about an experience.

Unfortunately it is difficult to give students an “experience” when you are confined to a classroom. It is possible, but much more difficult. For the record, I am not advocating that all classes should take place outside. But this I believe, is where technology comes in. I think the technology available to teachers now, gives us the ability to make learning a great experience, even within the confines of a classroom. I will not list all of the things that technology can do for a teacher who knows how to wield it, but I will say that I believe it is not just a “good idea” but it is becoming a necessity for reaching students, and getting them (especially uninterested students) involved in the learning experience.

Agree/Disagree?

4 comments:

  1. Tim: How would you design your classroom? Physically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jesse, I'm not sure. I know that I really want to avoid the typical "rows" which characterize most classrooms. I think it depends on the tools I have available to me in the classroom. I would like to organize it in such a way that is more conducive to discussion, such as grouping desks together or putting them in a circle.

      Delete
  2. I think you would really enjoy learning about using process drama in the classroom. I taught a course on it and would be happy to share some names with you. Let me know if you are interested in learning more about it. Essentially it is using acting, writing, imagining, etc. to think about texts, writings etc. It's not about putting on a play or the final version of a skit, it's about trying out activites as you think about or disucss a text. It can be done in the confines of a classroom very easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome. Sounds very useful and interesting.

      Delete