Friday, March 30, 2012

Ruminating on Tebow

I am interested in what people think of this exchange between Smith and Bayless about Tim Tebow and his faith, temptation and distractions. Watch the discussion (if you aren't a sports person this talk has nothing to do with sports):

http://search.espn.go.com/can-tim-tebow-survive-the-new-york-stage/

After watching the discussion I am just curious about what people think of Smith's criticism. Tebow is known for his convictions about abstinence, not getting drunk, or doing drugs. Smith argues that Tebow is making a mistake by being in a city like New York City where there will be temptations for Tebow to compromise on his beliefs. I am interested in what people think about this situation and about Tebow in general.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's refreshing to have a person like that in the public eye, completely open about his beliefs. My only problem would be if he doesn't actually live that way, which, instead of being a role model, would actually have the opposite effect for many young kids who look up to him. If he can live that way, then I say more power to him! Good for him! And kids these days really do need someone like that in the media. I hate to say it, but The Jonas Brothers did the same thing, and as far as I know, they're still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel it's unfortunate that he will be scrutinized....but isn't that what media does? Just because he is not the average football player, and he has strong beliefs...why does that have to be news? I mean, if it's a positive portrayal, I am all for that. But didn't the other sportscaster say something like "they're going to be waiting for him to slip up" or something similar? This implies that Tebow is going to get special attention for being "different" but that if he does something that we don't expect....we're going to hear about it.

    I can honestly say that I'm glad I didn't go the media route because it's so prescribed. I'm not necessarily a Tebow fan, or sports fan for that matter, but I don't think he needs to be put under the microscope while we wait for him to "mess up." I do value the positive message he sends, though. It's nice to see a role model who isn't a boozer and partier. It just seems to me like people are waiting for him to "mess up" so they can pick him apart.

    Sorry, maybe I have just watched the movie Network, too much.

    ReplyDelete